Devil's Gate is a narrow cut made by the Sweetwater River through a rock formation. Devil's Gate is three hundred seventy feet high and more than a quarter mile long. length. Martin's Cove is about four miles west of Devil's Gate.
Beyond Chimney Rock, the next Oregon-Mormon Trail landmark was Scott's Bluff. The first traders to see it was Robert Stuart and the Astorians in 1812. The bluff was named for Hiram Scott whose body was found near the bluff in 1830. The Oregon Trail picture is taken from the summit of Scott's Bluff.
Oregon Trail Landmark
Buffalo chips were as important as any landmark on the Oregon and Mormon pioneer trails. Dried buffalo manure was the only "firewood" for cooking and heat that could be found on the prairie. One of the first tasks when the Oregon and Mormon Trail wagon trains stopped at night was to gather armfuls, or aprons full, of dried buffalo chips. Called "meadow muffins", it took two or three bushels of chips to heat a meal.