Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pancakes Anyone?!

I love breakfast foods! However, a lot of the time they're not so healthy. Pancakes would be one of these things. I've tried looking for a good 100% fruit syrup in the store, but I can't find one anymore. At least if I wasn't pouring maple syrup on them I could call them healthy, right?!
I had come across this recipe from runnersworld.com for an All-Purpose Fruit Syrup a couple years ago. I printed it off and promptly forgot about it. I re-discovered it the other day, and tried it out. It was amazing!!!! It is so easy to make, and so good! It's a little time consuming so I made up a couple batches and keep it in the fridge.

Ingrediants: 1 1/2 c apple cider
2 c blueberries, raspberries, or chopped strawberries

Directions: Place the cider and the berries in a deep saucepan set over medium heat. Simmer
uncovered until thickened, 55-60 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming off
any froth that appears on the surface. Strain the syrup into a bowl, pressing on the
solids to push through some of the pulp. Discard the seeds and the pulp that doesn't
pass through easily. Use right away or cover and refridgerate for up to 3 weeks. Or
freeze for up to 2 months.

Nutrinion: Serving: 1/2 cup
Calories: 66
Protein: 1g
Carbs: 14 g
Fat: 0g

You should definately try this out! I didn't strain my syrup at all....I love all the chunks of strawberries in mine, plus it's less work!!

No comments: